The Freshmen Formal

On April 28th, 2023, the freshmen class held a freshmen (Semi) Formal. With food, a DJ, and dancing, the night was a complete success. But there is more. The freshmen classes over the years have not done a freshmen formal for a very long time. What inspired the student council to host this event? Will the class of 2026 do more events like this in the future? 

“The formal is a good event for the freshmen class because we’ve never done it before and it is a new experience,” says Vice President Anu Chidambaram. Let’s take a look at a few aspects of the formal that made it the most memorable. 

For some freshmen, this was their first semi-formal event of high school. People spent time looking for the right outfits, planning to carpool with friends, and deciding on a hairstyle to wear. While everyone was getting ready for the dance, it started to rain. And then it started to pour. Would this ruin everyone’s looks? Everyone’s shoes? The dance floor was a little squeaky, but that wasn’t going to stop us from busting moves.

The first thing that caught my eye when I walked into the cafeteria was the decor. There were balloons, colorful tablecloths, and flashing lights on the dance floor. Not only was there a photo booth, food, and cornhole set up, but several fun accessories were provided for us to wear. In no time, everyone was wearing either a pair of glasses, a light up ring, or a necklace. 

Not only does Mr. Josh Holland teach English Literature at CHS, but he has a passion for music. He sings, and also was the DJ for the dance, dropping sick remixes and playing all the classics. Everyone danced. There were dance circles, there was moshing, and even some slow dancing. Some went up to the booth to cheer Mr. Holland on for his DJ skills.

Around 10:00 pm when the formal ended, students were leaving with food. All of the extra food. I saw people carrying pizzas, I saw people leaving with bags filled to the brim with candy. I saw people carrying boxes of cookies, trays of pretzels—anything they could get. The freshmen class made sure that no food went to waste. What did the chaperones think of this? Well, they were jealous because they weren’t able to take anything home themselves. 

At the end of the night, some went home to go to bed. Others hung out with friends. Everyone was tired. Because the night was such a success, Vice President Anu Chidambaram thinks there will definitely be more events like this in the future for the class of 2026. The freshmen class thanks student council, and advisors Mrs. Julie Stanley and Ms. Rebecca Mora for planning such an enjoyable night.