Welcome Mr. Harding- New Band Director At CHS

Mr.+Harding

Mr. Harding on concert night

Considering his success in conducting his first high school symphonic band concert, CHS’s new band director Mr. Andre Harding deserves applause. Mr. Harding joined the HVCHS community at the beginning of the 22-23 school  year and has done nothing but flourish. 

Music has always been a part of Mr. Harding’s life as his mother was a classically trained singer who started him in piano lessons at age 6. Mr. Harding took singing lessons and participated in choir until middle school, when he first found his way to band. He joined as a percussionist and went on to play the clarinet and flute during high school. Knowing he wanted to be involved in music in college, Mr. Harding attended West Chester University as a saxophone major and studied jazz music education. Soon after, though, found his love for the bassoon, which remains his primary instrument to this day. 

His desire to teach and the influence of his past music directions helped Mr. Harding to gravitate towards becoming a band director himself. Harding recalled that his directors left a lasting impression on him. He shared that, “If I was able to fall in love with music, I would love to be able to help others achieve that love.”

Mr. Harding got his first taste of teaching and leadership in high school as he was the front ensemble captain for his indoor drumline. During college, he taught as a front ensemble technician—an individual who provides rehearsal instruction and educational feedback to the front ensemble—for several high schools. 

As a senior who has participated in band since I was in fifth grade, I have met many band directors in my life. Mr. Harding brings a welcome freshness and eccentricity to CHS’s symphonic band. He constantly reminds his students that “it is okay to make mistakes as long as you learn from them, so make them loud and proud.” 

Mr. Harding hopes that lessons like this will instill self-confidence and motivation which his students can use to build bright musical futures.